Nervous newbie to chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thisisntrob, Feb 14, 2017.

1. thisisntrob

thisisntrob New Egg

Feb 14, 2017
    Hey Guys,

My wife and I got our first two chickens last week. Both were 'point of lay' hens. On the second day we got one egg (not sure which one layed it) but it's now been 10 days and we haven't had another one.

Just wondering if this was normal or if there was anything we need to do.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Rob

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    First [​IMG]
    Be patient because POL does not mean that chickens are at the starting gate of a NASCAR race and keep producing when the light turns GREEN. They will gradually start bringing you happiness.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,[​IMG]

3. thisisntrob

thisisntrob New Egg

Feb 14, 2017
    Ah thanks so much. Bit of a weight off my shoulders!

I just couldn't find any information about the frequency of laying for first time laying hens and was worried that it may have been my fault in some way. Totally love my two hens and wanna make sure they're as happy as I can make them.

Thanks again

1 person likes this.
  4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Also since they're in a new environment they'll probably need to settle in first before they get down to the business of laying. Adjusting to a new home can be stressful for any animal.

5. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Agreed, they're still adjusting to their new home. For the mean time make sure they have plenty of fresh clean water everyday and feed them layer feeds not scratch (junk food).

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

That first egg you got was probbaly 'in process' before you brought them home.
    They should pick back up once they get used to the change in location, feed, water, etc.

Do they free range?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by