nervous newbie with a hen that has an odd chest ridge going on

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katieroth, Aug 11, 2014.

1. katieroth

katieroth Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2014
    My favorite hen, a Red Star just laid her first egg yesterday. This probably has nothing to do with the momentous new egg but suddenly she has a ridge of feathers on her front. It went from nice and flat to this funky ridge--toward the bottom of her chest. I tried smoothing the feathers back down but it's not going down. She seems fine but more narrow-chested. I took some standard BYC blurry pictures (I took quite a few and these are the best of the lot. Sorry.) Should I fret? No, wait, I AM fretting.I should stop, right?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    [​IMG] its nothing to worry about that is were their food gets stored and starts the egg laying process.

1 person likes this.
  3. katieroth

Mar 23, 2014
    Hey it showed up overnight [​IMG] and now I know why.
    Thanks, and she thanks you too because now I'll leave the poor thing alone. She was starting to give me the evil beady eye as I fussed over her. (She really is the sweetest hen in the 3-chicken flock)

4. chickencreek

Aug 10, 2014
    she is a very pretty hen what kind is she

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  5. chickencreek

Aug 10, 2014
    oh woops didn't see the red star part

6. katieroth

Mar 23, 2014
    She's a Red Star. . . I have a salmon faverolle and a speckled sussex and she is my favorite by a mile. Lots of personality, affectionate, funny, fairly smart for a chicken -- and she laid an egg at 17 weeks.

So should I feed her more? Is this ridge a sign that she's too skinny?

still fretful,
    Kate
    Also I forgot .... THANK YOU!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  7. chickencreek

Aug 10, 2014
    no shes not skinny at all its only bulging because their breast plate is right behind it

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by