1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Nervous!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secretquail, Aug 4, 2010.

1. secretquail

secretquail Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    My eggs are scheduled to hatch on Friday!!! I heard peeping last night. I candled the eggs today, and only felt movement in 2.....from the 18 I started with!!! This is the 1st time hatching ducks for me, so I'm not sure what to expect. Many of the eggs have light spots when I candle them. The air sack is obvious, but some have light spots also on the bottom and a bit along the sides. Is this normal, or did I have a bunch that did not develope?

I think I am also going to turn my fan off. It dries out the bator and keeps the humidity down. I can only get it up to 74% with the fan off. Do you think that will be ok?

UGG, I hate the waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. Pearsandgrapes

Pearsandgrapes In the Brooder

I have no advice. I have not braved the incubation thingie yet...but...GOOD LUCK! I hope the hatch goes well! May your home be filled with little darlings soon.[​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have some due on Monday- so I would expect our eggs shouldnt look too much different. I found one that night that died- it look a bit like how you describe. I can see a dark mass that was the duckling- but now no veins and some very light areas. I m sorry- it sounds like some of them may have quit on you. A small light patch can be be expected still - but if they are more than 20 % light in the area other than the airsac- they have most likely died. Incubating is so sad some times. I hope you still manage to get a good number to hatch/ I use a second incubator with no fan for the hatcher- so ot doesnt have the effect of drying out the eggs. - Turning it off if you can and adding a sponge may help get the humidity up a little. I try to have it around 80 % for hatching- but 74 isnt too bad. Good luck...

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Turning the fan off is a good idea. Some may chirp early and other may need longer. Just sit tight and let nature take care of things. There is really nothing that can be done, even if some eggs are dead. They may not be dead either, and just need longer. They may hatch over 3 days. So sit back and watch. Do not open the incubator or the moisture and heat will drop and make hatching difficult. Less interference is better.

Spots happen when the duck turns around and gets ready for pipping. They are usually on the side on the button and are caused by slight bleedings in the membrane, which will get absorbed and should not be of concern.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. secretquail

secretquail Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    We are excited for the 2 that are scratching and peeping. Does that mean that they will try to hatch soon, or are they just going to be noisy kids?[​IMG] I'm keeping the rest in the bator, even the ones that I'm pretty sure are quiters. boy, these last few days are killer, aren't they?!

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I always give my eggs the benefit of the doubt- And only remove them when I am sure they wont hatch. Sounds like they have broken through the inner membrane or at least trying to if you can hear them- but it may be another 48 hours before they will be out of the egg.... they will be absorbing the yolk and and brood from the veins and that takes time. It could be another 24 hours before they crack the shell- and then 24 hours or so until the are unzipped and out of the egg....Good luck- and hope you enjoy the show!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by