Nest bedding question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by urbanhomesteader, May 29, 2008.

1. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have a broody sitting on eggs in the coop. She has the normal bedding (pine shavings)in there and in the rest of the coop. [​IMG]
    I know when putting chicks in a brooder its recommended that you cover the bedding so they don't eat it. But what about hen raised chicks? Should I remove all the bedding in the coop and just keep whats in the nest box? Leave the bedding in and hope they learn what to eat from mama hen or what? The chicks are due to hatch in 9 days. I am moving my other two girls out to the other coop so mama and babies will have this coop to themselves.

Thanks
    Rachel

2. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I think I read somewhere else that mama hen will teach her babies what to eat and what not to eat. Hopefully someone will confirm and then you don't need to do anything about the bedding materials.

3. urbanhomesteader

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Ok, thanks chicknhawaii.
    I hope she will too. I just am a bit nervous because I don't know what kind of mama she will be. I guess we will find out soon.

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I pretty much left things the way they were and let the moms do their job. I had one hatch just over two weeks ago and one just over a week ago. Things are going fine. Moms are taking the kids on field trips and having a good time scratching, eating, and doing chicken things, even dust baths.

[​IMG]

5. urbanhomesteader

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Oh my goodness! How cute is that![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by