Nest box... 1 @ 24x18x18 or 2 @ 12x18x12

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SurprisingWoman, Jun 9, 2011.

1. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Which would be better for 5 or 6 hens? One big trough type or two smaller that are stacked on top of each other so they have a "high" and a "low" option? They are used to having the nesting box at floor level because their tractor is small and we need to stay small for now.

I am building a 4x8x4 coop to replace my tractor and I am finding I have sooo many questions. This is probably just the first but it is wicked important to me.

Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd probably choose the single option, but really, there is no way to know ahead what they will use. Chances are if you build two, they will only use one of them.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:x2. Mine have a big wire nest box, a bucket nest box, a milk crate nest box, and a wooden box nest box. They all use the big wire one. Only reluctantly now that there are 2 broodies in the big nest will they use the milk crate. And that's only when there are 3-4 chickens in the big one.

4. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I would opt for two, even though at times only one will get used.

I have four birds and at times there can be a line for a preferred nest. Sometimes both are occupied with two waiting to go. The chukar will end up depositing outside if she can't wedge herself in with one of the chickens.

Only having one nest may also cause a problem if you end up with a broody too...

5. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    I have a 4x8 coop with 3 boxes at about two feet off the ground. My birds have a ramp to there nests. They only use the first two. In fact, all I have ever seen in the third box is my rooster

6. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    These thought seem to be parallel to my own.

Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by