1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nest Box Battles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BLaBauve, Dec 9, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    My hens have always fought over nest boxes, but now the older hens aren't letting the younger pullets lay. I have 6 nest boxes in a row, and of course they only like 2 of them. Once the pullet settles into a box, the hens peck at her until she gets out - then the pullet carries on screaming for a long time. I've thought about cutting some of the nest box dividers out in the coop which would create larger nest boxes. That way maybe 2 can fit in 1 box. Thoughts?

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Do you think that your older hens would share a bigger nest box with another hen? The reason I pose this question is that I probably only have 3 hens that would willing share, but it would be worth a shot.

Have you tried putting some fake eggs in some of the less desireable boxes? If they see that someone else thinks that is a pretty good spot, maybe that will trick them into using some of the other ones.

3. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have no idea if they would share, but they are somewhat small. I may try making one bigger though. I have fake eggs in almost all the boxes! They just really like to pick on the younger pullets in there.

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Well you don't know unless you try. That extra space isn't getting used anyway. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by