Nest Box Changes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by diverdale, Oct 21, 2019.

1. diverdale

diverdale Chirping

Oct 14, 2019
    Garner, NC
    My Coop
    Finishing up the super coop...ran into an issue with the nest box roof. I didn't take into account the trim/door when I put the roof on. It was fine but I didn't like it. nest_box_before.jpg

So....I tore it all off and added some 2x4s on the sides as well as a 1x4 behind the front 2x4 to bring it out a little more. Also like the shingles a little better on the revamped version. There will be some trim on the sides.

nets_box_after.jpg

We had a LOT of rain on Saturday and the little coop had some standing water in the run. We move them into the super coop for the day while we addressed the drainage and dried out the little coop. Just a few more little bits to finish up and they will be in here full time!

Dale

townchicks likes this.
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :welcome :frow Your new coop looks good. Enjoy your flock. Good luck and have fun...

townchicks likes this.
  3. diverdale

diverdale Chirping

Oct 14, 2019
    Garner, NC
    My Coop
    Thanks! I plan on doing a full write up on it at some point. It's been quite the project.

townchicks likes this.
  4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Chicken Picken

Aug 28, 2019
    L.I. , NY
    That's a good looking coop , the changes on the nest box do look better .

townchicks likes this.
  5. diverdale

diverdale Chirping

Oct 14, 2019
    Garner, NC
    My Coop
    Thanks...it was a minor cosmetic issue but it was really bugging me ... lol. Fortunately, I had all the materials needed to redo it without a trip to the store. I double layered the roof plywood and used 7/8" roofing nails. Doubling up kept he nails from poking into the nesting box. Don't want the girls bumping their little heads ...

adirondak5 and townchicks like this.
  6. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Nice looking coop. I like your changes better, too.

diverdale likes this.
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have several coops and all are different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: