nest box feedback

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChueyJose, Jan 22, 2015.

1. ChueyJose

ChueyJose Out Of The Brooder

Hi everyone,

I put together this nesting box out of scraps I had around. In hindsight it looks kind of small. Measurments are 12"x12" 10" in the front 12" in the back. my girls will be laying in about a month so they've no experience with nesting boxes. What do yoy guys think? Is it big enough? I have 2 brown leghorns, 3 delawares, 2 RIR and 1 barred.... about 4 month old.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It looks ok to me! If it turns out that they don't use it, try taking the top off. They'll tell you whether they like it or not ;)

3. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Looks good to me. If they dont use it, put it on the floor where they are laying the eggs and gradually make it higher.

4. ChueyJose

Thanks guys. Hopefully they will use it

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How much of an angle is there to the top? I only ask because if it is less than, say, 45 degrees you are going to have a nice collection of poop on the top in no time(any flat surface is an invitation to hang out and poop). The actual setup is very similar to what I had my husband build for my flock - ours is a six nest setup with two rows of three.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Is it going to mount flush to a wall? Our box actually sits out ever so slightly due to the structure behind it. I ask because, if it is not flush, you may want to add a "lip" at the back as well as the front to prevent any kickout through the gap at the back.

7. ChueyJose

It is not a sharp angle I do not know off the top of my head. But I would say 20 degree. Also, If I am expecting them to lay in about 1 month, when should I place the box in their coop?

8. ChueyJose

It will be flush to the wall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by