Nest box for Welsh Harlequins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by billmac, Sep 8, 2010.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    So I'm working on a coop for the ducks. They should start laying in a month or so. I have 9 female Welsh Harlequins. I would like to fashion the nest box with its back to a wall that I can open a door in the back and remove the eggs without entering the coop.

How big should such a box be for 9 hens? I was assuming it would be one big communal box. True? How high should it be? I assume it needs a lip to keep the bedding in? How wide?

Thanks.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I'm going by 12x12" per duck and 16" high. I've actually just build 4 boxes for 8 girls, but each wants it own to sleep in so I'm building 4 more.
    [​IMG]
    Mine are the size of one kiddie litter pans which is about 11x14" I think. My ducks are heavy weight Saxony ducks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I like this idea! This is my first time with ducks. Are ducks as messy with their nesting boxes as they are with everything else? Is that why you have removable inserts?

4. katharinad

Yes, that is why I'm using the inserts. They can get washed, if needed. I can also wash the wood occasionally. Haven't painted the pine wood, because I worry that they will chew on the paint. The kiddie litter pans are 2.50 each at Walmart. Quite inexpensive.

5. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Is it standard to have duck nest boxes not enclosed? I guess I was envisioning a big, enclosed and covered box for them to nest in.

6. katharinad

I guess it depends on the duck. My ducks love it without the roof on it. I guess they love wide open spaces, but that is all they are used to. Plus my ducks are very self confident and bold. They have been sleeping together and touching each other since birth, and I think the openness makes them feel close to each other. My duck house is very airy and has lots of light. They have a full window front going all the way down to the floor plus the storm door with glass in it. No dark spaces to hide in. Again this is all they know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by