1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nest box idea

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dawn419, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    DH and I have 2 of these "rearing tanks" [​IMG], from when we used to raise African cichlids. Since moving to the country and a single wide mobile home, we don't have space for a fish room (the orchid collection has taken over instead) and these have been in the shed collecting dust. I'm getting this one cleaned up so when DH gets home this evening, he can cut it to size for me. The individual sections are 8" by 12" so we'll also remove the short dividers, making each section 16" by 12". Pic of the dividers...[​IMG]. (Click on thumbnails for bigger pix)

Think they'll work??? I have a gallon of black Fence/Barn paint and am thinking about painting atleast the outside of this to make it darker for the gals.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Dawn

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks good to me. A good use of a good old dust collector!

3. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Eggsalent!!! [​IMG]

I wanted to get rid of them when we moved, now I'm glad we didn't!Being a pack-rat can be a good thing! [​IMG]

Dawn

4. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    They really do look like perfect boxes. (Thats cool that you raised African Cichlids, I have a 55gal full)

5. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Thank you, peeps7!

We have a 60 gallon hex with four Neolamprologus brichardi 'Daffodils'. We have a small aquarium maintenance business, will have to post some pix eventually!

[​IMG]

Dawn

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Awesome!!! I had 2 of those but then one of em died so you know. [​IMG] I have a Jack Dempsy(Not an African but I had to get himany way) and he is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    The only problem I see is a bird jumping up on the dividers and getting its leg caught in one of the slots. It could cause serious damage - strained or broken leg or even death if it flapped around long enough.

8. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Carla, we'll be removing the short dividers and I am planning to use silicone to close up the slots in the tall ones. A slanted, wooden "roof" is also in the planning stage, at this time!

Thanks so much!!!

Dawn

9. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Dawn,
    That makes me feel better...

10. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    [​IMG]

I've tried to cover everything but I know how easy it is to overlook something that could be detrimental to their well being. That's why I posted this, just incase I had overlooked anything, which I'm good at...[​IMG]

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by