Nest box liners for roll-out nests?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Jan 27, 2009.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Hey, what do you folks use for liners in roll-out nest boxes? We started with artificial turf, but the eggs don't roll and the chickens pick at it. What's tough, soft, smooth, easy to clean and chicken-proof?

I'm not asking for much, am I? Oh, better add, cheap! [​IMG]

Erika

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Would the rubber shelf liner some of us use in the incubators work? It would be easy to cut to fit and wouldn't be too expensive to replace.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't have a 'bator, so I'm not sure what that is. Do tell!

4. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    "Bator" is an abbreviation for the word: Incubator

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's the drawer/shelf liner that's kind of a rubbery waffle pattern. That probably doesn't make sense!! [​IMG] You can get it at walmart and I think the dollar stores. It's with the shelf liner stuff. I'll see if I have a picture of it anywhere.
    I don't know if you'll be able see good enough to tell what it's like or not.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Wow; did I screw that one up by misreading! [​IMG]
    Sorry about that.

I do know what the shelf liner is too. I use it in my 'bator as well. And in the brooder.

7. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    You can buy fairly thin roll up rubber sheeting at lowes. Its easy to clean, easy to cut, and they won't eat it. You can put soft foam packing sheets underneath it for padding. The won't eat the foam because they can't get to it. If you have any trouble with the rubber sliding to where the foam is visible, you can glue the foam to the bottom side of the it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by