1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    What is the best thing to use in the nest box itself. I have pine shavings on the floor of the coop and in the nest boxes right now. The Delightful Dozen are only 8 weeks old, so I have time, but I wondered if I need straw, hay or something different for the nest boxes when the time comes?

2. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Poeple use both straw and shavings. I prefer shavings for easy cleanup. Straw can get so nasty.

3. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Hey Linda, I made that PVC feeder. Also posted a pic of it in that thread. Came out wonderful. Love it.

Dilly

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    try to find a cardboard box (with low sides) that matches the size of your nesting boxes...
    Now I have silkies (they do not roost and like to all sleep together piled in with each other) and so I use low-sided cardboard boxes (filled with shavings) for them to sleep in... after a while I notice the bottom is really damp and gunky and then I just throw them away and get a "new" one (free at grocery store>I use the ones the apples and oranges and such come in)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Dilly, I think I am going to get the materials for that feeder tomorrow - I will go look at the pictures too.

Thanks all for the advice, I kept seeing straw being talked about and wondered if I was doing it wrong. Always seeking advice on each step!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by