Nest box location...is this gonna be a problem?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kuntrychick, Oct 16, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I have been reading and reading and I'm not sure if I read it on here or somewhere else, but I read that if you have a window in your coop to install your nest boxes under the window & not facing a window to make it more dark for privacy for the hens to lay.

Well, hubby framed up the back wall (west wall) today and that is where we were planning on putting the nest boxes. The west wall is not going to have any windows. We will be having 2 windows on the east wall (therefore coming right in toward the nest boxes?) & 1 on the north wall & possibly a small one on the south wall (not sure yet). Is this going to be a problem?

Now I'm wondering what we can do.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My next boxes face a window on the opposite wall (nests on the west, windows on the east and south, sky light above) The girls like to lay eggs in the corner boxes for some reason.

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours is across from a window (and below one, too). I'm thinking about stapling curtains over them (cut in strips) for privacy, but I want to get them used to laying in the nests before I do that.

4. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:I guess we will try it...maybe put little curtains or something over nest box if they need more privacy because in the morning if I was to get hubby to totally change his design after him working so hard....[​IMG]

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I guess we will try it...maybe put little curtains or something over nest box if they need more privacy because in the morning if I was to get hubby to totally change his design after him working so hard....[​IMG]

I hear ya. Mine doesn't even like building things so making the coop was huge. So when he accidentally made the nest box opening too wide there was no way I was going to make him fix it (he would have had to reside a bunch and buy a whole nother piece of siding) so we figured out a way to make it work. So our nest boxes are insulated on the ends now, which is not a bad thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by