Nest box location

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by riftnreef, Nov 3, 2009.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    I'm building a temporary pen in my garage and don't know if I should put the nest boxes towards the top, or closer to the ground?

2. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    two feet off the ground is all I'd go, with a perch in front of them.

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Low would be better than high. Although I have 4 nest boxes stacked 2 then 2 on top. The bottom one is about 14 inches off the ground, the top would then be 26 inches off the ground. The chickens have only used the upper boxes. But both sets are lower than than the lowest roost, which is about 3' off the ground.
    [​IMG]
    Although the girls all checked them out on the same day after being in the coop for 6 WEEKS, they have only used the top boxes to actually lay eggs in.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Do they seem to prefer them off the ground?

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Mine do . They only use the ones at 24" ht. The two on floor are unused. the roosts are at 24" and 48" ht on opposite walls. All but two or three chooks get up on the top roosts in evening. The stragglers are relegated to nests or lower roosts. And they are always the same three RIR for some reason. They always come in latest of the 24 birds I have. Supposed to have nests lower than at least one roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by