Nest Box Material

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ClickerChick, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ClickerChick

ClickerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls have started laying. I want to build a nest box or two for them to lay in, but I can't think of a good nesting material. Here are my ideas and things I have heard about:

1. Straw. (I don't have much access to this)
    2. Hay. (Can be harmful to chickens if they ingest, and is hard to manage as it easily absorbs water and rots, and can house parasites)
    3. Pine Shavings. (I can get this, but my duck, Lizzie, eats it and I'm not sure it's OK for her to eat lots of wood shavings)
    4. Sand. (I thought of using sand, as the duck doesn't eat it, and it's a natural dust bath material! But I'm not sure if they would take dust baths in it instead of laying eggs in there)

Any more ideas? Opinions?

Thanks!

2. alb9202

alb9202 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    How about grass clippings? Or shredded newspaper?

3. alb9202

alb9202 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    How about grass clippings? Or shredded newspaper?

4. ClickerChick

Lizzie would eat both...

5. Janay

Janay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    Can saw dust be used?

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Having tried pine shavings vs. straw, my girls prefer straw. I see where you don't have a lot of access to it, though. The good news is that you wouldn't need a lot so one bale - if kept dry - should last you a long time.

I began adding cut herbs to the nest for no reason other than I had quite a few and needed to cut/thin them out. Catnip, thyme, and rosemary. The girls seem to like that and I find them moving the bits of herbs about in the nesting box.

7. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

leaves from trees. I'm using leaves at the moment right now and it's giving my hens The feeling of being in the wild

8. ClickerChick

I got ahold of a bale of straw, and have been using that for a while. It seems to be working - they can't eat it, but I keep having to put it back in the nesting boxes from being scattered all over the floor!

Oh well, thanks anyways!

9. maggierose

maggierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Goldendale, WA

hi ClickerChick... just FYI... there is an Eastern Washington group you might be interested in joining... we just compare notes, talk about the weather, and what's going on with our beloved chickens! anyway, just noticed you were in Walla Walla so thought I would mention it! [​IMG]

10. ClickerChick

OK, I'll look into it!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by