Nest box ok on floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hockeygirl56, Jun 10, 2011.

1. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    I'm finishing my coop and was planning on putting my nest boxes on the floor under my roost/poop board (picture as of tonight below). I just feel like most pictures I've seen of nest boxes on here show them elevated. I just want to make sure there's no problems I could run into by leaving it right on the floor. Thanks for the advice!
    [​IMG]

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Sure, lots of folks use the covered kitty litter boxes on the floor. Looks great [​IMG]

3. Some hens prefer it.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    One reason people elevate them is to give the chickens more floor space. Mine prefer the raised ones right now, but next month they may switch back to the ones at floor level.

5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Looks nice! I would also add that depending on what kind of litter you are using, you may find it helpful to have the nest boxes slightly more elevated, for the simple reason that dirty straw or whatever might tend to get pushed or kicked into the boxes as the chickens stratch around. This is particularly true if you are using the deep litter method--a box on the floor can get buried pretty quick the way the mounds of straw get moved around like sand dunes. [​IMG] That said though, chickens are ground-nesting birds, so it makes total sense to have the nest boxes down low. The only reason really to elevate them would be to conserve floor space, like ddawn said. Mine are just set up on wooden blocks or logs about six inches or so--basically, just high enough that they stay above the straw-drifts...

6. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    Good point sky...the hubby suggested putting them up on 2x4's so I think I will take him up on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by