nest box perch question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by knc512, Jul 26, 2010.

1. knc512

knc512 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    okay i'll give a small example of my coop, they usually sleep in a 2 X 2 dog crate that is elevated off of the ground by 4 pallets so about 2 feet off of the ground this crate also contains a nesting box, this is connected to an 8 x 8 chicken run that has a perch in it for them to roost on. it is at about the same height as my dog crate, however they do not sleep on the roost at night they go into the crate. should i make some small changes so they know that the nest box is for egg laying not sleeping?

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm trying to me a smarty pants here but close the door on the dog crate after laying so they can't get in. I usually go out about a 30 tp 45 minutes prior to dusk to collect eggs and put the perches up in front of the nest boxes so they can't get in and boot the early birds out. I have a few that prefer the nest boxes as well.

3. knc512

knc512 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    my run is only covered with chicken wire. is this going to be a problem with them sleeping outside of the crate come winter time?

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't know where you live so it's hard to answer on the winter question.

Honestly my biggest concern now is the fact that your run is only covered by chicken wire and there is no building to lock the chickens up in at night. I heard an old saying once "chicken wire is for keeping chickens in and nothing out" and it is very true Racoon, opposums, foxes etc can easily rip or chew threw chicken wire.

You also don't say how many chickens you have. When I was around 10 my first chicken coop was a wood dog house converted to a chicken coop with a wood door I could lock at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by