nest box placement?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by purechaotic, Sep 13, 2011.

1. purechaotic

purechaotic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Quick question before I start cutting. My design has the nest box at floor level with just a small lip does this work or do I need different placement?

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

Is the coop raised? I think it sounds fine. If they push all the nesting material out you may need to add a 1x4 across to help hold it in.

3. purechaotic

Sep 8, 2011
    Yes its raised a liitle lol 1/2ft one side 1ft the other. Getting the bottom level was a long process our ground is roack hard and not level so took abit of time to get it level.

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Right, do add something across the bottom front to keep em from pushing the nest materials out. A slight lip probably won't be quite enough
    (O'course what your idea of a "slight lip" is may be just the right height) [​IMG]

5. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    A lip would also stop the eggs from rolling out. I raised my lip just about 1/2 from the bottom of the nest box so that it could be swept out easier instead of trying to sweep it over the lip

6. purechaotic

Sep 8, 2011
    Wife wants to use buckets for nest so was going to put 4 inch lip across not worrying about cleaning that much since it will be easy with the buckets. Next question would 18 inches sloping to 1 ft be good for nesting area or is it not tall enough? Amercaunas and barred rock.

7. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Quote:Sounds good to me. A lot of people have 12x12x12 nest boxes in their coops and no issues.
    Mine on the main coop are larger and on the small coop the external nest box is 12x12 and 16 at the entrance sloping to 12 at the rear. Looks small but should work for mine. If not I guess I have to do over lol.
    Mine are too young to lay yet in that coop.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sounds good to me. A lot of people have 12x12x12 nest boxes in their coops and no issues.
    Mine on the main coop are larger and on the small coop the external nest box is 12x12 and 16 at the entrance sloping to 12 at the rear. Looks small but should work for mine. If not I guess I have to do over lol.
    Mine are too young to lay yet in that coop.

Our external boxes are also 16" sloping to 12. It looks pretty roomy in there so it should be fine. I hope. [​IMG]

9. purechaotic

Sep 8, 2011
    All framed in just a few finishing touches and hopefully will get it painted before the wife gets back. If it's not painted I dont really care but I know she likes the red and white ones so planned on doing that for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by