1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nest box plans

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by paige6100, Jul 28, 2007.

1. paige6100

paige6100 New Egg

Jul 28, 2007
    Southern California
    I'm having real trouble with crows stealing my eggs. Most of my chickens are in a really large pen that is open on top. I have a small shed with a divided shelf that the hens lay in. I'm looking for something I could build that would let the eggs roll underneath or into a compartment, simpler the better. Maybe it could be some kind of box that sits on the shelf and I have to lift it up to get the eggs. The shelf if around a foot and a half wide. Please help, I thought they weren't laying and then my neighbor mentioned all the eggshells that they have been finding and my chickens are the only ones close by. Paige

2. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    Just a thought: Why don't you cover the coop to keep the crows (and other flying predators) out?

3. paige6100

paige6100 New Egg

Jul 28, 2007
    Southern California
    It's a pen around 36 feet by 24 feet. I'm in the process of setting up a few smaller cages for my Weaten Marans in the cage, but it's not really practical to cover the large one. Paige

4. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    bird netting on top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by