1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nest Box Preference?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennyf, Oct 3, 2016.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Have six pullets close to POL, two nest boxes. The one pullet that's started laying has laid about ten daily eggs in the same nest box. Today for the first time there was an egg in the other nest box. Do chickens often switch around nest boxes or do I perhaps have another layer? Thanks!

2. ChkenKeeper

ChkenKeeper Just Hatched

Aug 19, 2016
    Tracy, California
    Actually it is quite normal for a chicken to lay in a different nest box, in fact they will often switch nest boxes.
    Don't worry about it, only mother nature knows why! The egg is the same....enjoy.

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Agree, they absolutely will change boxes on a lark. I've got one that likes to go in and out of 3 different boxes before she finally decides which one it is for the day. When there's a broody hen, it seems like more lay in the ground-level boxes, and pullets laying for the first time tend to lay on the lower level for the first few. Some will hog the box and laugh to themselves while their flockmates get more and more desperate. It's like high school for chickens.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be either.
    Some will pick a nest and stick to it like clockwork, others mix it up and move around on a whim.
    There's no figuring it out....fickle chickens...SMH.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by