nest box pricing

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by farrier!, Apr 13, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    My nice older neighbor is willing to sell me some nest boxes. Neither one of us have any idea what they are worth. About hat should a used 10 hole metal nest box be worth?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    well-My Dh and I built wooden ones -6 boxes-If I had to sell them it would be 40$ for the 3 holed ones-the metal ones we were going to buy-the 10 holes ones-the new ones were 229$ Those came with padding for the boxes and free shipping...for used-in good condition I would pay 120$ -tops thats just me though-I would probably haggle to-in rough shape with alot of cleaning 50-75$

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
  4. hippie

hippie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    N.E. missouri
    i have a neighbor up here in NE missouri that has a 10 or 12 hole metal that he said he'd sell for $10. i'm not sure how good of shape it's in because i haven't seen it in a long time. i made some really nice ones out of 5 gal. buckets. if you're interested in making your own i'll tell you more.

5. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I would love to see pictures of the home made ones!
    The craig's list is what these are too.

unluckily i am in the southern tip of Il, so unless i talked someone else into picking them up Mi will not work.

I think she would be happy with about 25.00 a piece. I might be happy at that to not have to worry about building some soon... [​IMG]

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    We purchased an older nest box-metal kind, I think it has 12 holes in it. Haven't put it up yet and it's in the storage shed (coop) behind everything. We paid $50 for it, and thought that was a fair price for the seller and us.

7. hippie

hippie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    N.E. missouri
    farrier, i'm kinda challenged when it comes to posting pics but on those 5 gal. bucket nests, you must have lids. if you know someone who does sheetrock for a living they usually get a hold of quite a few. i cut a hole in the lid leaving the ring intact and a bit more at the bottom to keep straw in the nestbox. i built a framework facing the wall and put a screw or two through the bottom of the bucket into a board. you will need the front end of the bucket resting on a board/landing to keep the screws from tearing out of the bottom. on the bottom side of the bucket i cut another hole for me to collect eggs. i hung a dark cloth over the egg collecting hole to keep hens from entering and to keep it dark. so the hens go in one hole and i collect eggs from the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by