Nest box question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by johnniecourtney, Apr 30, 2009.

1. johnniecourtney

johnniecourtney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Hi!

Do the nest boxed need to be elevated off their 'floor'? Here's picture of what we did.. you think it'll be okay? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We put a little strip of wood in the front to separate it and keep all the wood shavings out, but it's still the same level. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Courtney [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Hi Courtney,

GREAT COOP!

That is kind of like I have, but are you going to separate that large box into 4-5 different boxes? I put partitions every 10 -12 inches to make the boxes smaller. Looks like it's going to be quite the chicken abode!

Emily

3. johnniecourtney

Apr 14, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    We were thinking just 2 boxes, but maybe we'll make it three. The nest box is only about 33 inches wide. Thanks for the compliments [​IMG]

4. emilyweck

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I think I would do three. They tend to like small spaces. Plus, you don't want to make it too comfortable for them to sleep in. I've learned that from experience. Let us know how it goes! I just noticed we're sortof neighbors.

5. johnniecourtney

Apr 14, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Oh nice! Thanks for the tips. I once took an online test for 'Where you should live' and Eugene was my number one location. [​IMG] I think I will make it three then. I only have 3 girls, but that way they'll have several choices. [​IMG]

6. emilyweck

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Eugene is an acquired taste....I just moved here 6 months ago.

I do have a question for you. How do you make the smiley faces appear. They just do the [​IMG] ;( type symbols when I click on them.....any advice. I see you know how to do it. Thnx!

7. emilyweck

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Oh I did it...nevermind! Yahoo!

8. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice design. What will the space to the left of the coop be, an outdoor space? I think your nest boxes will be fine at that level. I can't wait to get my coop finished, especially after seeing yours!

9. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    We have some nests up and some nests at floor level. Both get used, just depends on which girl is laying the egg.

You'll be fine. Cute coop!

10. johnniecourtney

Apr 14, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Okay good. Glad you figured it out Emily [​IMG] i love them. lol

And I actually just read a post about 'community nests' where you don't have any dividers? I'm gunna keep reading about it and maybe give it a try. Just make three little nests in there with no walls? I'm not sure yet.

yea, and the rest of the structure is going to be wired in, and then we'll have a door to the far left to get into the run. We've been working on it all week, and I'm hoping to move in the girls on Sunday! [​IMG]

Thanks for all the replies!

Courtney [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by