Nest box question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by slystr, Nov 19, 2007.

1. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    [​IMG]
    This is my set up, the nest box is a cat litter bottom. the hens seem to like it well enough but I was wondering if putting the lid on would be better? then it would be darker and more enclosed. It would be more of a PITA to get the eggs out. What do you think?

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Put the lid on and cut out the part where the filter goes as a little door, so you can reach right in to get them.

3. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I have pretty much the exact set up as you. Tractor, nest box, the works. My girls don't mind at all having an open box. It least it seems that way. Their all laying everyday.

4. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Or you could take one of those large plastic containers cat litter comes in and put it on its side.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If they are all using it and there's not any other problems then why bother to change what's not broken?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  6. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:I tried using those. They were too small for my buffs. There deep but not real wide.

7. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Quote:probably a good point. I just thought they needed someplace darker.

8. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I'm curious. Whats the floor space in there and how my girls do you keep. Mine is 10x4 and I have 6 girls. I'm always wondering if I made it too small.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  9. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I've got a 10X4 as well with 5 girls and I think it is a bit tight but they have done well in it so far. they are 9 months old. I didn't realize how big Delawares got.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by