nest box question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kidsnchicks, Aug 29, 2010.

1. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    My crew is about 18 weeks old. We put the nest boxes in last night and added the bedding and put a few more roosts in also. As soon as they came in last night the ducks picked a box and they bedded down for the night. None of the hens went in that I saw before I went to bed. This morning everyone was ready to go out when I opened their door, after I let them out I did a few more things on that side of the yard then went inside the coop to check everything and one of the Roosters was in a nest box. Do I need to be shooing them out or is it just the process of checking it all out because its new?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    He's just curious. No need to shoo him away. Often times, a roo will show his girls where to lay by going in ahead of her and chatting to her.

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Funny question. I think my roos have just been curious...monkey see, monkey do! I do shoo them away, because I'm afraid they will eat any eggs laid by the hens.

4. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Well I just went back out to see and nobody was in there so it must have been insection time,lol. Now hopefully we get some eggs showing up soon! I am so tired of waiting,lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by