Nest Box Question = ]

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ragerkid2, May 2, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Hello All! = ]
    I will be taking the girls out to the coop soon but I do not have their nest boxes ready..... = / Would it be okay If I would put them in later? (before they start laying).
    BTW my chicks are only 5 weeks old. There is 16 of them and there is no other chickens in the coop (first timer here) = ]
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP [​IMG]
    -Brandon

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest either do not put the nest boxes in or, if you do, keep them locked up until they are 16 weeks old. It is usually a lot later before they start to lay,so don't get your hopes up, but some do start to lay at 16 weeks. You want the nest boxes open and ready for them when they start, with a fake egg in the nest so they havea better chance of learning to lay where you want them to.

The reason you do not want the nest boxes in there too early is that you want them to learn to roost on the roosts instead of in the nest boxes. They may start to roost when you put them out there or they may not roost for another couple of months. Mine usually don't start until they are about 10 to 12 weeks old. If they are not ready to roost, they may decide to sleep in the nest boxes, or while they are transitioning to the roosts, they may decide they like the nest boxes. Just let them get used to the roosts before they have access to the nest boxes.

Good luck!

3. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by