Nest Box Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickiePieGirl, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I have the nesting box "frame and walls" built in my coop, but we have not built the nesting boxes yet. I introduced some younger chicks (6 weeks old) with my older chicks (10 weeks old) this past week. They get along for the most part, but the older ones sleep on the roost, on the far right wall of the coop, and the "babies" sleep in the nesting box area on the far left side. This is fine, for now. But I am worried about when we make the nesting boxes later, I don't want the younger chicks to continue to sleep there. Any suggestions? Should I worry now, or worry later? And if I should worry now, what should I do to sway the younger chicks to sleep somewhere else? I was thinking of just blocking the area off with leftover chicken fencing material. I can easily block it off, since the nesting box area extends off the side of the coop. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    mine were sleeping in the nest boxes when we first put them in the coop at 7 weeks old. Several folks on here told me to block them up so I covered them with cardboard. They will be 18 weeks on Tues so I will be opening the boxes for business!

[​IMG]

3. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I will be blocking them tomorrow! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by