nest box question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 31665, Jul 21, 2008.

1. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    I have a group of chickens 3 1 yr olds and 4 teen agers and 9 8 week olds that are roosting in the nesting boxes any tricks to keep them out? Now I have dirty nesting boxes.

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Can you post a picture?

Usually you want something higher than your nest boxes that they can roost on and a slanted roof on the nesting boxes to prevent them from perching on them.

3. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    You have 1 year old, teen agers and babies living together successfully? How did you manage that? I'm going to have that situation in a few months and want to know how it went.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Usually if there aren't laying hens already then I'd say block off the boxes until they are laying age.

BUT since you have a mixed age group...

First, make sure there are roosts higher than the nest boxes that the younger ones can still use.

Second, I go out at dusk, when everyone is getting settled out for the night and put the babies that think the boxes are beds onto a roost. It will take a few times to remind them but eventually they will learn to sleep on the roosts.

It can be a VERY hard habit to break

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Thats some good advice. I have mixed ages also. I have a slanted top over the nesting boxes to keep them from roosting on top. You should have roost higher than your nest boxes. They tend to go as high as they can. And at night I have relocated a few to the perches. It takes a few times but they get the message. I also made a ramp so the babies can get to the roost easy. Sometimes the are not cordinated enough to fly and land on the roost. It may take a few days. Don't give up.

6. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    I have mixed the ages carfully with good advice from everyone on this web site. I was given 3 1 yr olds and then got 4 babies waited till the babies were 2 months old and brought them out during the day and kept them in a dog kennel in the run. Then when the big girls went out to free range the babies(now teenagers) had the run of the coop. At night we had a area of the coop blocked off. Then came the 10 baby chicks they went out the same way. Now the babies are almost 2 months old, all are in the coop-run area together the big girls go out to free range about noon and the kids have the run of the coop. I am now letting the teen ager out in the early evening to free range a little at a time. I am afraid to let them go with the big girls. The chicks stay in there age group. I wonder when they will be one big flock.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I have a group of chickens 3 1 yr olds and 4 teen agers and 9 8 week olds that are roosting in the nesting boxes any tricks to keep them out?

Old school easy...

Put a front board across the nest boxes - but cut a deep "V" in the front. Start the "V" at about 6-8" up top (on the sides), tapering down to the usual 3-4" at the bottom, center front. Make the board from something thin, like Coroplast or pegboard.

You need a front board to keep the litter in, anyway. But chickens dont like to perch in the "V."

You can also make a hingeing nest-front perch rail. Fold it up at night, so it blocks entrance to the nest - then they can't get in them. Fold it down in the morning for use.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  8. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    Thank You!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by