nest box questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by broe, Feb 26, 2009.

1. broe

broe New Egg

Feb 25, 2009
    what type of ladder or steps should i have going up to my nestboxes. pictures would be nice if you had them.

2. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    You don't need a ladder going up to the boxes when they are at the age of laying they will hop or fly up to the perch infront of the boxes.

3. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    as funonahonda said, you dont neccasarily need a ladder or steps, but make sure that there is a landing perch of some kind to hop on to in order to get in the boxes

4. broe

broe New Egg

Feb 25, 2009
    Quote:what should i use for this perch

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    a 2X2 approximately 3 to 4 inches in front of the box. I recommend the boxes be from 24 to 30 inches above the floor. This makes it easier on you to collect eggs and it generally keeps the hens out of the boxes when they are not laying, in my experience with nest boxes on the floor or just a few inches above the floor the hens get in there and scratch the nesting material out and then break the eggs. I know others are successful with nest boxes on the floor. I am passing along what has worked best for me.

6. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I doubt a perch is necessary if your nest boxes aren't too high off the ground and if you don't have a partially closed front, like a round hole, as the opening to the nest box. Mine just have a little lip at the opening which they hop up to. (The PVC that you see in front of the nest boxes isn't a perch; it's right below the lip of the bins and just keeps the bins from sliding out.)
    [​IMG]

7. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    scooter147 has good advice, thats what i recomend as well, but like sillybirds says - i guess you dont NEED them, but i feel like it makes it easier on the birds, i guess it also depends on the kind of nesting boxes you use

8. SouthernMNNewbie

SouthernMNNewbie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2009
    Mapleton
    How high would the nest boxes be to REQUIRE that there be a roost in front of them?

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I have a 2 x 2 in front of my nest boxes. IMO, with heavy breeds I'd place a perch in front of your nest boxes even at only 18 inches high, because if they can't see in, they could try to jump into an occupied box, and because trying to jump up to the thin edge of the plywood of which most next boxes are made can be hard on the feet...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by