Nest box size for a large broody Cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CHICKEN BUFF, Aug 24, 2016.

1. CHICKEN BUFF

CHICKEN BUFF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2015
    I've got 3 broody Cochin hens that are determined to sit on eggs -- EVERYBODY's eggs! I've set up a separate pen for them now with a roof on it, but I'm stumped as to what to use for nest boxes. Hubs says a five-gallon bucket on its side would be fine, but I think it's WAY too small for a big-butt hen, never mind her eggs (I think she'll break them trying to get into the bucket!)

Also, this inseparable trio seem to want to sit on the eggs together --- should I let them?

Any suggestions? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally, i use a large plastic basin (40-50 cm diameter) with soil (to weigh it down) and grass clippings on top - it works just fine for me.

Re: multiple broodies - it can be a nightmare. I'd suggest breaking the broodiness of all but one. Here's a link on how to do this - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181289/how-to-break-a-broody-hen

CT

1 person likes this.
  3. CHICKEN BUFF

CHICKEN BUFF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2015
    Love the plastic basin idea --- I've got one that might be big enough too! Thanks for that, and for the link to a great article.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by