Nest box sizes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Aug 21, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have a buff orp hen that went broody. No fertile eggs available for her to sit on. I ordered a dozen of fertile eggs from Myer this morning. They will be here Sat. I have a cage that is in the coop that is 2x3x8 that I can make into a brooding cage but have no idea of what size to make the nest box for the hen, eggs and hatched out chicks. When I go to place the eggs and hen into the cage with the eggs in the new nest box will she just go in and sit? Should the new nest box need to be enclosed with an opening that the hen and chicks have access? I had no idea fertile eggs would be so cheap. 2.35 a dozen and includes free shipping. New to this so I have many questions. John

2. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    2x2x2 feet should be fine.feet

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Do you have a large dog kennel? That makes an okay pen for a broody and you can include food and water inside, but you'd have to wrap the bottom few inches so babies cannot to through the wire. Hopefully, when you move her, that wont break the spell. Those are VERY cheap fertile eggs! What kind are they?

4. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    clean legged bantam mix. John

5. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I made my boxes 12Lx12Wx14H. then I put a 1x4 board across the bottom so stuff won't fall out.

6. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Well did I spread a bad story here. I picked up the eggs instead of waiting and found the price is 2.35 each. Didn't mean to start a rumor I just wasn't thinking when I posted it. I build the new nest box and placed the broody in it. Drove to Meyer and when I returned she was still sitting there. I placed the 12 eggs under her, she wiggled and waggled and sat right down. I was hoping to see a smile but didn't. Hope this works. John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by