Nest box too small?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TwoCrows, Apr 2, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Today I decided that the nest box in my small coop had to be attached to the outside of the coop to make more room in the coop. So I cut a hole in the side of the coop and inserted the box. The box started out to be 12"x12"x12" in size, but after adding insulation and a lip on the front, the size of the box is down to 10 1/2"x 10 1/2 x 10 1/2". I have 4 Black Australorp pullets, not ready to lay yet.

Is this too small for them to use? Does anyone else out there have small nest boxes and the hens are using them?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think it's fine. My BA's have other choices but choose small nests.

3. bjengel

bjengel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    Bay City, Michigan
    Quote:I'd be curious to get a few more responses on this as well,............... considering I am in the exact same boat. I was shooting for 12"x12" nest boxes and due to some stupid miscalculations on my part [​IMG] I ended up with 11" wide x 10 1/2" deep.

I have 4 Black Australorps and 4 Buff Orpingtons that are about 4 weeks old right now. - I have plenty of time to try and change the nest boxes to make them bigger if need be, it would just be easier to try and do it now (before I move them into the coop) rather than later.

As far as nest boxes go, - how small is too small? [​IMG]

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    i built my coop a couple of weeks ago, i made my nest boxes exterior. see my coop page. ok so i made the front 12", with a 2" lip on the front. they extend out 12", are 11" wide, and for the roof slope on it, i tapered it down to 7" in the back. my Buff Orps and Ameraucana's are using them, BUT....if i had it to do over, i'd make them taller. by the time they get in and wallow around in the pine shavings, they're laying on bare wood, and i've found two broken eggs so far. i'm thinking if i'd made them a couple inches taller, they wouldn't be wallowing all the way to the wood, and would leave some shavings for cushion.

my next ones will be at LEAST 2" taller all the way around. would take massive framing changes to rebuild these now, so not gonna change it, i may put a smaller lip on front or rework the boxes themselves so it's deeper and taller on the exterior part.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by