Nest box traffic jam!

bbhorsefly

Songster
Jun 24, 2015
I know this is common, but it's our first! The Easter Egger in the box laid her first egg last Friday and we came home this past Saturday to her green and also an olive egg in the box! They didn't lay yesterday, but today they seem to be pretty impatient having to take turns.

As long as you provide one nest box for every four or five hens in the flock, that's plenty.

I have five total. Most of the layers use one favorite box, and yes, they line up waiting for it when it's occupied. It's just what they do. And sometimes the rooster is right in the middle of things lending his encouragement to the endeavor.

Rush hour in Chicken World.

I just popped back out to the coop after I wrote this and both boxes were occupied! The pullet in the nest box when I left was in the new box. She must've vacated the box for a moment and the other took advantage and hopped in. Now I think she's done laying since she's returned to the flock eating calmly. The black one, this will just be her second egg, is still sitting. And while they were both in the boxes, their "Third Musketeer" friend (hatch mate that has yet to lay) came in and started scratching and nesting on the ground in front of them in their boxes. I think she's a little lost with her two buddies occupied in a couple boxes. Maybe one day very soon, we'll have three layers!

I just had the one since I wasn't even expecting any eggs until spring since I don't supplement light or anything. I made another. Guess we might have to break down and make some wooden ones, since it looks like these short daylight hours isn't stopping them from coming into lay.

I just asked how many boxes since I didn't know how many birds you have all total and I only saw the one box with the assumption that you had several chickens.

But don't be surprised if there is a lot of sharing and lines waiting. I have 7 hens and only 3 nest boxes. All 7 use the same one and I have had two chickens laying in the one box at the same time. Rarely, when another chicken can't wait until the current laying hen is done then I'll find eggs in one of the other 2 boxes or on the floor of the coop in front of the occupied box.

Chickens will do silly things and are very unpredictable.

Congratulations on your new eggs !!

I have 10 chickens and 2 nest boxes. Only 1 chicken is laying though, the rest are only 12 weeks old. I plan to add a third when they reach laying age...my one uses the same box everyday...I can't imagine she is going to be very impressed when someone else is laying in "her" box!
1f633.png

Back
Top Bottom