nest box

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by worms7, Oct 18, 2015.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Will 2 nest box do 6 ducks in 4ftx3ft shed (free range )
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What breeds are you keeping? I've honestly never had any luck with nest boxes when it came to ducks. They just seem to lay wherever they want.

3. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    I'm trying to train my ducks to lay in a nest - I added a nesting box to the back of my coop so I can collect my eggs easier. My 6 girls always share a nest, but they make a new one in a different spot every night. They have a tendency to lay wherever they drop the egg. I have a duck that doesn't like an untidy coop though, and she will roll the others eggs into her nest.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have a small black concrete mixing pan in the duck house filled with pine straw. 9 times out of 10, they lay in there, otherwise it is next to the bin or the pond or some other cool nest spot they've created, but usually in the bin in their house.

5. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used to have problems with my ducks laying outside of the shed, dropping their eggs wherever they wanted, sometimes even in their pool! But when my husband and I made these 8 nest boxes out of totes, that did the trick. They use them every night and day, sometimes even just to chill out and sleep. I rarely ever have any eggs laid outside anymore. It's a very cheap solution, and I'm sure it varies with the breed and situation. But I have runners, a Cayuga, a buff, a Peking and a welsh harlequin all laying In the boxes. It's been simply wonderful not having to have my daily egg scavenger hunt for the last few months :)

6. worms7

May 22, 2015
    england
    I will be keeping welsh harlequin
    Cheers

7. worms7

May 22, 2015
    england
    Can I keep 3 ducks & a drake in a 4 x 3ft shed
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  8. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    That would be a minimum size for 4 WHs without the next boxes. I never had any luck with next boxes they always lay where they feel like though will make a common next inside the coop and use it for a number of days before changing, same when they lay outside.

9. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    That is 12 square feet. If your ducks are kept in there only from dusk to dawn, that will be fine. For a night time only enclosure, 2-3 square feet per duck is the minimum. Make sure it is well ventilated and kept clean and dry.

10. worms7

May 22, 2015
    england
    I want to try & use nest boxes anybody got any ideas
    Cheers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by