Nest Box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Nov 21, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 2" high lip on my nest boxes. I'm thinking I may have to increase the height. The last 2 days my cochins have laid eggs in the favorite nest box, and the next hen has knocked them out. We go out to check for eggs pretty often, too. Is this happening because the lip on nest boxes are too low?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Ours is only about 2", and we haven't had any problems with them losing the eggs... but we have had them sit with their butts hanging over and lay them that way... not pretty. Sounds like you might need to either increase the size of the lip, or make the boxes bigger.

3. mylilchix

Thanks for your advice! The boxes are 14"x14". Is that too small?
    Sonja

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Normally I would say no... but if they're not able to fit in it comfortably, stand up and turn around, then maybe it's not. Do you have standard cochins? I've heard they're pretty big... [​IMG]

(pictures always help... hint hint!) [​IMG]

5. mylilchix

They're supposed to be, but they arent that big yet. The boxes are also 14" high, so they have room to stand up. It's almost like my other hens don't like extra eggs in the nest boxes.

Sonja

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    *chuckle!* I can see them now...
    "THAT'S not my egg!" <<Boot!>>

[​IMG]

7. mylilchix

lol I wouldn't put them past it. I had put a few light blue and yellow easter eggs in the boxes to help out a few of our hens who couldn't figure out how to lay in the boxes, and I find those on the floor all the time! [​IMG] I don't think a few of our hens don't like to share.

Sonja

8. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Deep nest boxes work well for me. It helps keep the nesting material in the nest as well as keeping the hens from sleeping in them. I've never had an egg knocked out so it would seem it does help prevent that too. It's as simple as tacking on an additional board at the entrances.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by