1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I have a bantam chick with a broken / dislocated / malformed ankle and she (maybe he, straight run) more or less walks on the side of the foot. She can not grip at all with that foot; however, she doesn't seem bothered by it. I'm about to start construction on the coop. Should I make a lower nest box for her or should I just wait and see if she compensates and is able to use perches? The planned perches are rounded 2"x2"s.

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    is it straddle leg perhaps?
    Do a search on straddle leg, if it is a chick, there are things you can do to help her/him with this.
    Good luck with the poor baby.

3. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Oh, no, not at all. The bend is at the ankle and the side of the foot is turned under.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It's amazing how much coping a bird can do. How old is she?
    I'd provide a low nest box for her and a roost in the bedding and see what she does. Also, be sure there is a ramp to your high roost or a soft landing spot for her in case she goes up and might injure herself going down. It's always the landings that get them...and good luck with the little lady.[​IMG]

5. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    At the moment she is around a week old. The coop itself is rather small 3'x3'x4'3" and I was thinking about adding a shelf for her as well so she can be with everyone else. I'll be using shavings on the floor in it, probably around 2-3 inches thick. I was also thinking about adding sides to the ramp to leave the coop just incase she has balance problems going down ramps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by