1. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I tried to add a picture on here, but am having some trouble with that. Anyhow, I improvised a nest box for my chickens (don't laugh) out of a cat litter bucket. I have bantams, and they barely fit, but they have been using it regularly, and even now that I have "real" nest boxes in there, they prefer the bucket. I used a bright yellow kinda rectangular shaped bucket. All I did was cut the flap part of the lid off, screwed a 2x4 to the little bit of lid that was left (I had to add a strip of 1/4 inch plywood under it so it would sit more solidly) and added shredded newpaper. They have been using ever since. If someone can tell me how to add the picture I'd be happy so send it on here as well. I was going to use it as a feed bucket, but it worked as a nest, and I had to share this idea with Ya'll.

2. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Your Chickens are funny! Hehe, Just Kidding! [​IMG] Litter boxes are ok!

Sorry but I don't know to post pictures here, but here's my opinion about the nest box:

If your chickens really like the bucket and you can't prevent them from using it, maybe you should remove the bucket and let them use the litter box (I mean nest box). That might teach them because they have no choice but to use it! Hehe

If you notice that they are happy with the litter box, you can put back the bucket for their food. But if doesn't work, maybe you should keep the bucket.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  3. First-time-raising

First-time-raising Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Mid - Michigan
    Quote:You need to upload it into photobucket.com or other types of those websites, They are all usually free websites to sign on to. Once you load the picture to photobucket then just copy the IMG code and paste it in your message and the picture should show up. Sorry about the directions not being so in depth. If you know how to use photobucket it's easy if you don't know how someone may have to give you better directions.

4. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  5. First-time-raising

First-time-raising Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Mid - Michigan
    Great idea!! and cheap to build

Do you happen to have the size of the opening of the bucket?

6. Forest_Nymph

Forest_Nymph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    Great Idea!

The thought of shredded paper never crossed my mind!!!
    I'll start using paper in my nest boxes too.
    My silkie hens use that type of nest box and seem ok with its size. I had DH drill 1 inch holes in the upper parts of the bucket nest for ventilation in the summer...

Great job!

Sylvia

7. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I went out to measure it and imagine my surprise to see one of my girls in there doing her thing. She did let me measure it though, it is 9" wide and 8" high at the opening. I didn't want to disturb her too much so I didn't take any other measurements. I used a scrap piece of 2x4 (just had one sitting around that was the right size) but it didn't sit stable enough so I added a strip of 1/4" plywood to the bottom of the 2x4 and it obviously works. It took maybe 5 minutes to make. Oh I used drywall screws to attach the 2x4 to the little bit of bucket lid that was left.

8. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I use photobucket. You have to resize the photo for message board. Just use the edit feature, and click resize, it will give the options for different formats.

9. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I added the link to see the "Nest Box" bucket a couple of posts back.

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    good idea, chickens don't care what you use, if they set their minds to laying in it. We had trash in the front end loader, on the tractor, and my silly birds decided to lay in the loader! [​IMG] Had to quickly move the eggs to empty the trash. They don't lay in it unless there is something inside the loader. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by