Nest boxes and roost pans, roost pans and nest boxes...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    If you dislike rambling, skip down to the bulleted list [​IMG]

I know a lot of people have roost pans, or whatever ya'll call the poop catchers. I forgot and can't think of the name for the world of me! [​IMG]
    ANYWAY.... Since of course, I have fallen under the spell of an addiction to chickens. I thought the 7 bantams would be enough, but it's not. As signature states, I am getting some Faverolles. I am trying to design the inside of the coop. I am wondering, with the 5' wall, could I place the nest boxes 18" up, have the coops 15" tall and then have a poo pan on the top of the nesting boxes, covered with wire to keep chickens out of it.

SO
    - Is 18" too high for Salmon Faverolles for a nesting box? I think that's pretty much the standard height. I am unsure though. There are so many numbers to remember, I can easily get confused

- Is 15" tall enough for their nest boxes? Should I make it 16" just to give it that extra height....

- Is it okay to have roosting pans on top of nesting boxes.?

- Is it too high for the roost to be 48" up? The roost is going to be a 2x4, with the 4" side facing up.

- Pictures would be great if you have roosting poo pans.

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    That is an interesting question as I am about at that point in the remodel of my coop too.

Anyone got ideas?

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm thinking it'd be okay... It'd save space.....

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:When I expand my coop I am going to put poop catch trays under the roosts. Some use drop boards. There are some threads with pictures. I found some shallow pans at TSC that are used for rabbits but think they will be perfect for under the chicken roosts.

SO
    - Is 18" too high for Salmon Faverolles for a nesting box? I think that's pretty much the standard height. I am unsure though. There are so many numbers to remember, I can easily get confused

I have some at different heights. The girls use them all.

- Is 15" tall enough for their nest boxes? Should I make it 16" just to give it that extra height....

Mine are 14"

Yes, then you won't have poopy boxes and easy cleanup.

- Is it too high for the roost to be 48" up? The roost is going to be a 2x4, with the 4" side facing up.

I have one at 18" another at 30"and 48". 2 x 4's with the 4" sides up.

I hope I have helped. Sounds as if you have everything in good order.​

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    should be fine, they can get up there pretty easily. plus, it's good for them to jump around, it gives them a chance to stretch their wings without having to escape your coop [​IMG]

sounds good to me!

maybe not....

not at all! they will be able to get up there, you'll be surprised!

i have a chicken-wire floor below the perches... sorry no pics [​IMG]

hope ive been a help!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. rays123

rays123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    GA
    man roosting pans is a great idea i wish i would have thought about that when i built my coop

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't have pans, I just have a droppings board I scrape clean every morning (takes only like 10 seconds); but it doubles as the roof of the nestboxes, and I have done this in 3 pens and 1 tractor now with no problems whatsoever. I'd say go for it [​IMG]

Pat

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Pat, I checked out your BYC Page. What a beautiful tractor you have. I love your ISA Browns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by