Nest boxes finished!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    My pullets are 20 weeks old and I procrastinated long enough making their nest boxes. I started to put a 1 x 4 lip on them then remembered reading from one of you that you left a gap at the bottom for scraping out the nest box. So instead I did a 1 x 3 lip & raised it up 3/4". What a super idea! I haven't put up a perch because the girls can see inside the boxes from standing. The boxes are only 12" off the floor. I wanted the kids to be able to collect the eggs without going into the coop. Because of our high winds I had to make the access protected. Now we wait!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Beautiful! I hope they enjoy them! Are your chickens in the house? I love your set up, we are moving apartments and may have to keep our bantams in a big pen in a well lit basement or spare room if there's not a nice big fenced in yard... [​IMG]

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    No, my chicken coop is just built better than a house!! [​IMG] Thanks to my carpenter brother. He didn't get around to doing the boxes so I went ahead and did them. I'm sure he'll have some critiquing but I'm pleased with them.

4. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    You fooled me! Looks like a happy place to be a hen![​IMG]

5. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Those look like some great nest boxes. I love the inquisitive looks of your hens checking them out... now hmmm, this is something new, can we eat it? [​IMG] Very nice to have that indoor access to the nest box and storage area.

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    They look realy nice and comfy. Look at those girls checkin them out to cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by