Nest Boxes for my chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arsnow, Jul 12, 2010.

1. arsnow

arsnow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Farnsworth, TX
    I have been working on a chicken tractor for a while now, and I am finally getting close to finishing it. I do need a little help with nest boxes though.

I'm planning to build then off the back of my tractor. Each box will be a one-foot cube with peg board used as a divider. Is this size big enough for buff orpingtons, rhode island/newhampshire reds, russian orloffs, dominiques, or barred plymoth rocks? I've haven't started on them yet, so there is plenty of time to modify the design. Sorry I have no pictures.

One last question would be what type of plywood is best: thin 1/4in. exterior or the thicker 3/4 what I'd call "standard" sheet?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I'm glad you asked that b/c I was wondering the same thing! My plans for the nest boxes is 12X12", but all my chickens are heavy breeds like BO, BPR, and Australorps, plus cochins. They are looking so big even now and I wonder if maybe they should be 14X14" instead!

3. arsnow

arsnow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Farnsworth, TX
    I know some large-breed chickens need nest boxes up to 16" square, but I think that may be for the giant breeds.

4. JanetSmithery

JanetSmithery Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    I'm currently raising chicks for the first time, so have no idea just how they would have done in practice...but when I went to their farm of origin and saw the Buff Orpingtons and Javas there, I couldn't imagine they'd comfortably fit in a 12 inch cube. Mine are 14 inch cubes, and I think that'll do all right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by