Nest Boxes/laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lyon3mchics, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Lyon3mchics

Lyon3mchics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Northern Michigan
    Forgive I am new to being a mom of my chicken girls. My girls are 16 weeks old and I have the nest boxes built = should I put them into the coop? I have heard mixed reviews. My boxes are 12x12x12. Yes, I was told I should not put them into the coop too early. How do you know the right time? I am noticing one of my girls making her own nest in the straw on the floor of the coop. Even today when I tried to let them out of the coop she really did not want to come out. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I'm a little confused by what you wrote. You asked whether you should put them in the coop yet and then you said that they don't want to come out of the coop. Are they in the coop or not in the coop?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. Lyon3mchics

Lyon3mchics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Northern Michigan
    Sorry for the confusion. My girls use the coop every night. Thats is not the problem. I am wondering when do you put in the nest boxes into the coop? I was told if you put the nest boxes in too early they wont use them.

Right now, I just have a roost for them to rest on at nighttime. (food/water of course)

Thanks

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Oh! I see. Definitely put the nest boxes in now. I've never heard of such a thing as putting them in "too early". Most coops have the nest boxes built in, so they're always there. They'll use them, don't worry. It can be helpful to put a golf ball or a fake egg in the nests to suggest to them the place to lay their eggs.

Good luck and keep the camera handy for that first egg!!

5. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    I had nest boxes in my chicken tractor very early. They use them. I think this is one of those "tales" that gets around, but really doesn't have much foundation. I know many farmers that allow hens to hatch chicks and raise them right along side their flocks. They don't take out nesting boxes until the chicks are big enough... and I've NEVER heard that all of the sudden they have a batch of chickens that won't use the nesting boxes. I think you're safe. [​IMG]

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Our coop has the nesting boxes built in, so my chickens have seen the nesting boxes since they were a few weeks old. I didn't add straw to the boxes til they were 14 or 15 weeks old.

As a side note, there's 6 or 7 boxes. Two of my hens are laying (well, one started as of today). They both are using the same box. I guess the others are just decorative? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by