1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nest boxes plans/pictures

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by zekii, Jan 26, 2014.

1. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    I need to get going on putting together some nest boxes for my group, I've been noticing some nesting behavior in the bedding inside the coop. I only have one nest box at present, but figure I should have another 2 or 3 more. Post any plans with declensions you have, and pictures would be a plus!!
    [​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

This is what I have been using as a temporary box:

[​IMG]

The girls LOVE them! The downside is that they roost on top and get them all poopy.

These are some on-the-fly nest boxes that I built:

[​IMG]

Extremely heavy and badly planned, but they work.

People do it a lot of different ways, but I find that my girls always prefer the privacy of "5 sides" around them. Then, you have to have a "straw guard" to keep the nesting material in. If they are up high, there must be a perch in front of the box so the hen can land there, then step into the nest opening. Other than that, build what you can and see if your hens enjoy it [​IMG] And remember, you only need one box for every 4 hens.

3. Joy Beum

Joy Beum New Egg

Jan 21, 2014
    We use a simple nest box with three compartments. I put some curtains (in sections for easy entrance/exit) and they seem happy with it. I know they like privacy...who doesn't?[​IMG]

:) [​IMG]

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I just use a pallet leaned up against the wall inside of the coop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by