nest boxes vis a vis roosts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by michelsal, Sep 30, 2012.

1. michelsal

michelsal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    Should nest boxes (I'm hoping to use 5 gallon buckets) be level, below or above roosts (they won't be "under" the roosts)

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Should be lower than the roost.

3. michelsal

Sep 25, 2012
    Thanks!

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Nest boxes should be ground level or just above the ground. So, as has already been pointed out the roosts should always be higher than the nesting boxes to discourage roosting in the boxes. Another thing to keep in mind when providing roosts is to keep them as far away from a wall as possible.. Enough space should be provided so when the chickens come off the roosts they do not fly into a wall. I've read from others where they have gone out in the morning to open to coop only to find a dead chicken with a broken neck.

5. michelsal

Sep 25, 2012
    thanks! that seems important! but 12" is enough?

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I have a three tier roost made of 2x4 turned on 4" side. Lowest is about 6" off ground for the bantams I will be getting in the spring and then each other one is about 18" higher than the one before it and staggered about 10" apart so no one on lower roosts gets pooed on. So my top perch is about 3.5' off the ground. The roof of the coop is 6' high. Across from the perch are my nestboxes, about 4 feet away, with the bottom 5 at ground level and the top 5 right on top of the bottom ones. And of course they all pretty much use one box unless someone is already in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by