Nest Boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mnjpando, May 25, 2010.

1. mnjpando

mnjpando Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    So I put golf balls in the nest boxes and new pine shavings and they scratch out the nests down to the wood and kick the golf balls out and lay an egg.. Do I need to rebuild the nests everyday or leave them down to the wood? Also will they continue to kick out the shavings and make a nest? And is it ok the eggs are laid on wood? I have a 2.5 to 3 Inch lip on my nest boxes but the still kick out half the shavings...

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I used pine shavings in my nestboxes one time and had the same thing happen.
    I now use hay, packed in real tight. The hens go in and round the hay out to make a nice cozy nest before laying their eggs.
    I use hay and not straw because hay is inexpensive and readily available around here. Been using it for two years and haven't had it kicked out of the nest even once.
    Some folks say there is the danger of them eating the hay. I watch my hens alot. Never once have I seen them eating it. Play with it yes, but not eat it.

3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:My 2 month old chicks have ready access to hay and they love to eat it. The first time I saw one with about 4 inches sticking out of his craw I panicked and tried to help get it out, but then he ducked away and swallowed it down. Is it dangerous then to allow them to be around it? I really don't know how to keep them from getting to it.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My 2 month old chicks have ready access to hay and they love to eat it. The first time I saw one with about 4 inches sticking out of his craw I panicked and tried to help get it out, but then he ducked away and swallowed it down. Is it dangerous then to allow them to be around it? I really don't know how to keep them from getting to it.

If they are actually eating it, then yes. It can lead to impacted crops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by