Nest Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cricks56, Jun 26, 2010.

1. cricks56

cricks56 New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    :/Whats the best way to build nest boxes? Should I order them? Or build them? It is so much cheaper to build them but am not close to a local hardware store. Right now they are laying in the will barrow. Which I dont like. Can someone show me ideas? Thanks...

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Well, I just used scrap/leftover plywood/OSB to build a 8 section nesting box. Mounted it inside my Coop and put little doors in the back for the Missus to reach in from outside for the eggs. That was over 15 years ago---still holding up.
    [​IMG]

You can look at my BYC page for the Whole Coop pictures.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  3. cricks56

cricks56 New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    Sweet. Im thinking of doing something like that. But I really dont know how. Im probally gonna go shopping for wood...

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Really nice darkmatter! I like the way you have the boards in front slanting down and out, great idea!

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:You can't see it very well in the picture, but those slanted boards are hinged. If I have a problem with Juveniles trying to roost in the nest boxes, I can flip those boards up and block off the nest boxes at night. Obviously, I don't when I have broodys.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Great idea darkmatter! I'm gonna have to make a few adjustments in mine lol. Thanks.

7. cooleydooley

cooleydooley Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    Have had my 4 RID's for a week in the small coup I built. The coup is about 3 feet wide X 5 feet long then has a bump out on the end with the nest box which is a foot deep by width of coup. They seem to all line up in the nest box at night - hence I have to clean out the straw every morning. I have been getting 2 eggs a day in the nest box. I guess my problem is that the nest box is on the same level as the coop ? There is a roost in there. There is a 3" tall board across the front. In all of my research - great information on this site - I never saw a tip to built the nest box higher but now it makes sense. My neighbor - who has a vary large coup - has milk crates lined with straw which makes sense now too.

Not sure what do do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by