1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Does anyone have outside nest boxes on their coop. My grandmother had a few outside on the back of the coop and some more on the inside of her coop. I am thinking it might be cooler in the summer to have a couple outside the coop. Mine free range all day and it might be more convenient than going all the way into the coop especially in the heat. My coop is in the shade and is well ventilated, but still it is hot.

2. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hello Our nest boxes are on the outside.This was done so there would be more room in the coop and we don't have to go into the run and coop to gather eggs.(if we ever get any) LOL

3. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Do you mean "outside" as in a pop-out nest box to save floor space or do you mean "outside-outside" as in not in the coop? Like having a nest box in your chicken run? If your chickens are free-ranging all day they may not use a nest box and may just lay around the yard. Don't know - never really heard of anyone having a nest box outside the coop. [​IMG]

4. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I mean a nest box that is attached to the coop, but is accessible from outside, not inside. My grandmother's were on the back of the coop and faced away from the coop, and had a pole in front for the hens to fly up onto to help them get into the nest. Then she had more inside the coop for any hens that wanted to be more private I guess. When my hens start laying I plan on leaving them in the run so they will get the idea and put some fake eggs in the nests also, before I let them free range again.

5. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I couldn't do that here. My dogs love the eggs too much. They leave the chickens alone, but they love a fresh scrambled egg!!!

Also, squirrels and crows love my girls eggs, too. If I put nest boxes outside, it would be like a buffet table for everyone but me!

Jean

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have rollaway nest boxes "outside" the coop; the entrance to the boxes is on the INSIDE of the coop though.
    Outside, lift up lid to get the eggs:
    [​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Before the coop was painted:
    [​IMG]

7. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Well, I guess that wont work then, because we have a ton of squirrels, and crows also. I just thought it would be cooler in the summer. Thanks for your input!

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Why wouldn't it work? You can latch the lid to the nest box.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by