Nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jadell, May 28, 2008.

1. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I was just wondering how big I need to build my boxes and how high off the ground they need to be. I have Austrolarps and Black Giants. . .big girls!! Nest boxes that is.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

For the big girls I would say no smaller than a square foot, even slightly larger. I have the galvanized nest boxes and they are a square foot for each nest. My lowest nests are about 1 to 2 ft. off the floor. I've noticed the chickens tend to stick to the lower nests but I expect, when I get more layers, the upper row will get more use.

3. lisamarie

lisamarie Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    I was going to post a similar question. mine ended up being about 18 inches wide but only 9 1/2 feet tall. is that too small? i also have big birds.
    thanks!

4. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Quote:Well if your chickens were of the Jolly Green Giant breed then I guess they will be fine. I think you meant inches. lol Just laughing with you here.

Dilly

5. lisamarie

lisamarie Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    oops! yes, i meant inches! actually, just figured out a way to make the box a bit bigger so now it's about 14 inches high.

lisa

6. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Have to say I got a little laugh myself. Thanks for the info. [​IMG] How tall do the boxes need to be?

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I will have big birds and we were going to make them 12 x 12 (inches) but now I need to talk to DH about makeing them bigger???

8. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Ours are 12x12x14, but the Delightful Dozen are only 5.5 weeks old, so we are yet to see!

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Nest boxes need to be lower than your roosts or they will sleep in the nest boxes and poop them up, then you get poopy eggs! [​IMG]

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    POOPY EGGS! Oh no...I think I better lower mine..they are about the same height as the lowest roost! I don't want poopy eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by