1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    So I want to make or find some Really chep nest boxes that go outside the coop to save space. I need to have egg acess for the outside. I'am putting these on/ building ingto an already prexisting 4 foot wide wall. I would like at least 2 rows. They need to fit different sized chickens. Dose anyone have any ideas? Thanks [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    alot of people use 5 gallon buckets - those would be cheap. You could position them so the lid is outside for acess, and cut the entry into the bottom of the bucket, stack em, and frame em all in for effect.

3. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    is there an way where you can cave them stick out of the wall? With the llid on the outside? Thanks.

4. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    That 5 gal bucket idea is a great one, you could cut a hole in the wall and slide the bottom end of the bucket in till it seats on the rim, I like it!

5. featherworks

featherworks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    SW Mississippi
    CountryCentinel, that is exactly what I did. I was in a time crunch to get this pen ready for these MF bantams and used 4 lowes buckets with 2 tops. I cut a test hole in a piece of scrap plywood. Once I got the right fit, I traced the cutout on the wall and cut out the holes. I then cut both lids in half and that made 4 fronts for the nest buckets. This will be done on the next coop I build.

Phil

[​IMG]

6. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Nice! So you have outside access to those bucket nest boxes? Do you have a pic from that side?

7. featherworks

featherworks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    SW Mississippi
    kuntrychick, I was in a rush to get this coop chicken ready and didn't have time to figure out how to make it rain proof. I like the ease of installation with the buckets and don't mind going in to gather and check stuff. I had thought about turning them around and cutting a hole in the botton for hen access, but if I were to take the lid off the shavings would fall out. I'm not giving up on the idea though.

Phil

[​IMG]

8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Cool idea. My newish coop dose not have an big easy humen door [​IMG] I didn't build it I got it for free. [​IMG] Its an big dog house.

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    There is an ad running here on BYC for nest buckets and they offer one for tractors to be wall mounted and have an exterior plug for egg collection.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by