Nest Boxes

trooper

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Staunton,Va
old.gif
caf.gif
I redid my ladder today that leads to the roosts.The old one sit on 2 5gal buckets up side down so that it wasn't on alot of incline.I also used a 2' ladder to get started up the ladder.I constructed a new one so that it isn't much of an incline to the roost.While I was doing this work There was a hen in a nest box.While she was in it another hen got in on top of her and eventually forced her out.About the time she got settled in another hen got in on top of her.I had never heard a hen growl,but there was some growling going on.Eventually the second hen was forced out.I don't understand why this was happening,because there is two other nest boxes right beside it.I did enjoy watching them doing there thing.
lau.gif

old.gif
I love the color mixture.The way they run together is awesome.To bad he isn't a specific breed.I'm looking for a rooster and I'd Love to have one similar to him.You welcome.
love.gif
yesss.gif

old.gif
caf.gif
I redid my ladder today that leads to the roosts.The old one sit on 2 5gal buckets up side down so that it wasn't on alot of incline.I also used a 2' ladder to get started up the ladder.I constructed a new one so that it isn't much of an incline to the roost.While I was doing this work There was a hen in a nest box.While she was in it another hen got in on top of her and eventually forced her out.About the time she got settled in another hen got in on top of her.I had never heard a hen growl,but there was some growling going on.Eventually the second hen was forced out.I don't understand why this was happening,because there is two other nest boxes right beside it.I did enjoy watching them doing there thing.
lau.gif

Back to original question...some hens have a favorite box and they'd rather crawl on another hen than use another box. I've heard of hens laying eggs under a sitting broody, too. Just sit on top of/next to her and somehow maneuver to get the egg under the broody.

Back
Top Bottom