Nest Boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trooper, Feb 4, 2012.

1. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG] I redid my ladder today that leads to the roosts.The old one sit on 2 5gal buckets up side down so that it wasn't on alot of incline.I also used a 2' ladder to get started up the ladder.I constructed a new one so that it isn't much of an incline to the roost.While I was doing this work There was a hen in a nest box.While she was in it another hen got in on top of her and eventually forced her out.About the time she got settled in another hen got in on top of her.I had never heard a hen growl,but there was some growling going on.Eventually the second hen was forced out.I don't understand why this was happening,because there is two other nest boxes right beside it.I did enjoy watching them doing there thing.[​IMG]

2. LOL!!! ive been growled at by a broody hen before, and my poor dumb turkeys were growled at too for being a little to curios of what she was doing

3. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    That is a Beautiful Rooster.

4. a little random, you talking about my avatar?

5. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    Yes that is it.

6. oh well thanks, he said thanks too, everyone comments on him, i love him very much, i havent had him long either! I have some more OEGB but hes a mix which makes him prettyer

7. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] I love the color mixture.The way they run together is awesome.To bad he isn't a specific breed.I'm looking for a rooster and I'd Love to have one similar to him.You welcome.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. well he is a golden duckwing if you like his coloring, really the differ between him and a purebreed it his white earlobes should be red, and his peacomb should be single.

9. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR

Back to original question...some hens have a favorite box and they'd rather crawl on another hen than use another box. I've heard of hens laying eggs under a sitting broody, too. Just sit on top of/next to her and somehow maneuver to get the egg under the broody.

10. x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by