Nest boxes ?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shangri-lafarms, Aug 13, 2008.

1. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    I have plastic crates so far that I will use when the hens lay but how should I have them ???

Here's a pic of how they are set up should I keep them this way or turn them??

[​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    which ever way you want - but screw a piece of wood across the bottom of each to keep the bedding in - they'll scratch it all out in a heart beat...

Something like this:

[​IMG]

3. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Hey That's a good one, i have alot of empty plastic containers too, they are by far easier to remove and clean, yeah I need to put something in front of the nest boxes, this weekend. Thanks for your advice

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Make sure they are secure, so that they don't tip or move when the hens are jumping in and out of them.

Take the waterer off the top of the nest box.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  5. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I use a couple of old milk crates too but mine are upright. I have had no problems at all with this. I was afraid to put them on thire side for fear the eggs would roll out and now I see how easy it would have been to fix that problem. Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  6. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Oh yeah, I took that pictue last night, and I moved the waterer today, I don't want them to hop on it and start roosting atop of it...I think I may just remove them until i upgrade them and everything...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by