Nest boxs. What is the advantage to having outdoor access

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mr.Grantly, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Mr.Grantly

Mr.Grantly Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I see a lot of people taking the time to add nest boxs that you can get at from outside the hen house. What is the advantage ? They seem like a lot of work

Grant

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So you don't have to go through the coop to collect the eggs.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Also, imagine rainy weather. Everything (poop, shavings, etc) sticks to your shoes.

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    For me, it also makes it easier for my City Friends to gather the eggs and "take care of the chickens" when I'm gone if they don't have to go inside the coop every day. They usually seem to be a little more sensitive than me to chicken dust and inside-the-coop sights and smells.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Mine is an outside nest box and I love the fact that it's a quick "grab -n-go". There's no disturbing them when they're inside eating or scratching around. I couldn't imagine having to go inside the coop to collect eggs. I absolutely love it. I have 5 boxes in my coop and I block off one to the girls to use as storage for chicken scratch and other misc. smaller items. When I open the nest box to collect the eggs, it makes it super easy to throw them a treat!! (While I collect mine!) [​IMG] It's not really alot of work to make one...

You could also make it inside of the coop with just an exterior door to open on the backside of the nest boxes...it doesn't have to be protruding out to be accessed from outside. [​IMG]

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can only collect eggs after dark you will not disturb all the chickens while they are sleeping.

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Frees up space on the inside!

8. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Chickens don't always lay where you want them to lay. [​IMG]
    I go into my coop to check for eggs, look around, see all my birds, etc. My $17 boots from TSC are a godsend. [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love not having to put on my coop shoes if I'm in a hurry and just want to gather eggs.

10. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine is outside the coop and outside the run and my mom can easily collect the eggs without accidentally letting the chickens out. She loves those birds but they would sneak by her if she opened the door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by